Welcome to our destilino.com personal website!
Guatemala & Honduras
Click HERE to see our photos.
A Journey in the Mayan world!
From February 17th to March 3rd 1997, we did a tour through Guatemala and a small part of Honduras. The main purpose of this trip was the discovery of great archaeological sites of ancient Mayan civilization, and soak up the culture of these Native Americans, who still make up a large proportion of the population. The rest of the population is a mixed race of Spanish and descent. The scenery is gorgeous with many volcanoes, lakes, towns and villages. However, the roads are in poor condition, especially for crossing between Guatemala and Honduras but the reward (Copan) was well worth the effort!
Here is a summary of our 2 weeks journey:
- Arrival in Guatemala City
- Visit a banana plantation
- Visit of Mayan ruins of Quirigua
- Airplane trip to Flores in the north
- Visit the ruins of the largest Mayan city in the world: TIKAL
- Viste a coffee plantation
- Visit the ruins of Copan in Honduras (impressive Mayan city)
- Short visit of Livingston (near the border with Belize)
- Boat on the Rio Dulce and Lake Izabel
- Visit the Castillo San Felipe (between Rio Dulce and Lago Izabel)
- Visit Antigua (Spanish colonial city, former capital of Guatemala)
- Back to Guatemala City for a quick city tour
- Beach holiday in Chulamar (Pacific coast near San Jose)
- Visit the Indian Market of Chichicastenango Maya
- Visit the Lake Atitlan surrounded by 3 volcanoes
- Return flight from Guatemala City
Click HERE to see the roads we drove in Guatemala and Honduras.